These Word Templates are desiged to provide faculty with an outline to get started on their dossier. Be sure to save the Template as a Word Document when adding content. Note that multiple page PDF files can not be imported into these templates, so be sure to account for that. Use Adobe Acrobat Pro to combine the completed Word dossier (saved as a PDF) and any PDF's. Here are the templates:
- First Year
- Second Year Dossier Template
- Third Year Dossier Template
- Fourth Year Dossier Template
- Fifth Year Dossier Template
- Sixth Year/Tenure/Promotion Dossier Template
Instructions for use of templates.
The UW Colleges uses Google Apps to provide a wiki environment. We utilize the Google SItes tool, which can be a wiki, but has other features as well. Instructors aer using this tool to have students work in groups to create a project, write a document, etc. Wikis can be requested for courses when requesting Desire2Learn coruse sites. This video is a thorough introduction to the Google Sites wiki. Be sure to use Firefox or IE to view this video. Originally recorded 8/23/2011.
Check out this document on Wiki site managment: Google Site Basics
More information abouto Google Sites (Wikis) can be found at on the Google Sites webpage.
In higher education blogs are used by both instructors, for communication and assessment, and by students for writing, peer editing, evaluating case studies, and as I mentioned, this list is endless. Currently the UW Colleges is referring faculty to Blogger.com or WordPress.com. By Fall 2012 we should have our own blog implementation ready to go with Blogger. this series of videos takes the viewer through what blogs are to how to use them and best practices. Check these videos out, especially the Best Practices Video.
Class Climate is our course evaluation software. It is used to generate electronic and paper course surveys. Each campus, NODE, and Colleges Online have a sub-unit with a list of instructors and all courses in it. These sub-units are managed by sub-unit administrators at each campus. A complete user manual is accessible within the software. Links to quick reference guides about various tasks are below.
Participation Tracking (available for online surveys only)
Desire2Learn (D2L) is the UW College’s learning management system. It is available for use for all courses in PRISM and for continuing education credit courses.
- Faculty are automatically given D2L sites for their classes. If they wish to have multiple sections combined, they can complete a course request form found at: https://insttech.uwc.edu/d2lcourserequest.aspx
- Desire2Learn is at https://d2l.uwc.edu . Select “UW Colleges Login”, enter your network login credentials to log into Desire2Learn
Join the Desire2Learn Community Site to network with Desire2Learn users around the world: https://community.desire2learn.com/index.asp This site has training materials, discussion forums, news about upcoming versions of Desire2Learn, information about upcoming conferences, and more. This site is a great online resource for “Everything D2L.”
Introduction to the Media Management System in Desire2Learn, Media@UWC
Inserting Stuff into D2L News, Content and Discussions- How to: Video
- Adding New Media using Insert Stuff Documentation
2013 Technology Infusion Boot Camp Videos & a Lonely MP3 File
These files take time to load, especially the first one covering Common Threads. Also, Chrome does not seem to want to play the files. We are working on this issue and once resolved will post the solution.
- Building Courses, Saving Clicks – The Course Builder
- Discussions and Groups – Making the connections, threading the groups together
- Rubrics – hear and there and everywhere in Desire2Learn
- Gradebook – Designing for efficiency and accuracy
- Quizzing – Ins and outs of importing, creating and administering quizzes
- Rubrics Deep Dive
- Tablets & Smart Phones in the Classroom - Podcast
- Desire2Learn Audio & Video Tools
- Gradebook Deep Dive
- Web 2.0 Tools
- Discussions Deep Dive
- Discussions & Rubrics Deep Dive
- Qualtrics Survey Tool
Version 10.0 -10.3
- Classlist Email Basics
- Copy Course Components
- Desire2Learn for Instructors (Screenshots of different tools)
- Desire2Learn for Students (Screenshots of different tools)
- Desire2Learn Quiz Question Import Tool
- Discussion Basics
- Dropbox Basics
- Gradebook Basics
- Update to V10.0 Course Homepage and Navigation Bars
- Rubrics FAQ
- Creating Personal Discussion Areas
- Managing Multi-Section Course Sites
- Creating Grade Schemes
- Exporting Grades from Desire2Learn to PRISM
- How Students Access Past Submission Views
- How to Add Films On Demand Videos to Desire2Learn
- Desire2Learn Binder App for the iPad
Desire2Learn Training Videos
Tech Tip Tuesday Archives
Quandary is a FREE application to create Web-based case studies also known as an action maze. Users are given a situation and asked to respond to it by choosing from a set of options. Once they select an option, they are presented with another situation and different options. According to the product website, Action mazes can be used for many purposes, including problem-solving, diagnosis, procedural training, and surveys/questionnaires. Download it here: http://www.halfbakedsoftware.com/quandary.php
Hot Potatoes is a FREE six application suite of tools that allow you to create interactive exercises for the internet. You can use these exercises on your D2L course site. Possible exercises include multiple choice, short-answer, jumbled-sentence, crossword, matching/ordering, and fill in the blank. Download it here: http://hotpot.uvic.ca/.
Blackboard Collaborate is our web conferencing tool. You can virtually meet with anyone in the world who as a computer and an internet connection. You can hold virtual office hours, have small group meetings, and give trainings. There are a number of useful features such as Web Tour, Application Share, Breakout rooms, media transfer, and more. All Employees have access to Blackboard Collaborate through the My UW System portal (http://my.wisconsin.edu/). Web Conferencing is found on the Employee Resources tab. Instructors can also access Blackboard Collaborate through Online Rooms in their D2L site.
- To learn more about Blackboard Collaborate go here
- Video about accessing Blackboard Collaborate via the myuwsystem portal
- Link to My UW System Portal Knowledge Base document about Blackboard Collaborate
- Link for the Session Administration System
- Link for recorded moderator training
- Add a WisLine phoneline to your Blackboard Collaborate session