In accordance with the new UWSA authentication policy faculty, staff, and students will be required to change their passwords every six months. This will protect individuals and the institution sensitive information from hackers and others who should not have access to it.
Because of the policy changes, all users will need to establish a new password that meets the minimum security requirements. Here is a brief overview of how employees and students will make this transition:
- Existing employees can access the self-service password portal and enroll using their existing network account and password.
- New employees will be provided instructions by their manager.
- FLEX students receive first-time setup instructions through CEOEL.
- New UWC students receive an acceptance letter with instructions on setting up their account and password for the first time. Continue to follow those instructions. Students will be required to provide their ID# for first-time access.
- Existing UWC and FLEX students can access the self-service password portal and enroll using their existing network account and password.
If you would like more in-depth information about the requirements and their underlying rationale, please see the following resources:
- Regent Policy Document 25-5 – Information Security
- UW System Administrative Policy 1030, Information Security: Authentication
- UW System Administrative Policy 1031, Information Security: Data Classification and Protection
- NIST Special Publication 800-63 version 1 Electronic Authentication Guideline
- Information Security Compensating Control Request Form
You’ll find details about the password requirements here: https://www.wisconsin.edu/uw-policies/uw-system-administrative-policies/information-security-authentication/information-security-authentication/